Adventures in Certification…part two.

Also known as Adventures in Action…

Alternatively known as Quit your Whining and DO something!

More effectively known as: It’s Time to Work Together to Accomplish Change!

Earlier this year, I posted this about how certain states require SLPs working in schools to have a teaching certification or at least lead people to believe those requirements exist.

After a conversation on twitter, this subject has come up again. There was much outrage, anger, and disgust. So I decided to do some research…Want to know what I found out?

First…Let me say this: in no way do I hold myself above Teachers. I have the highest regard for the profession as a whole and firmly believe the fate of the world lies with them. However, I am not a teacher. I do not TEACH. I provide THERAPY – much like a physical therapist or an occupational therapist. A doctor is not a lawyer, a lawyer is not a dentist, an SLP is not a teacher – regardless of where (s)he works. They are all worthy individuals and much needed professions – but they are not the same.

Second, I have to say some state rules and regulations were obviously written by people who get paid by the word. A more convoluted mess of of tangled information with links that go nowhere I have never seen…and yes, New York and Pennsylvania Offices of Public Instruction, I’m looking at you! Not only is the information tangled – there’s no email link to someone who might be able to help…(I’m fairly sure that’s on purpose). Please, do everyone a favor – revamp your Requirements for Certification pages and make them actually usable…please? ((*updated to add: I finally found a contact that might help – but it wasn’t on the teacher certification page – it’s on the office of professionals page.


Now that I’ve completed that rant…let’s move on to the subject at hand.

Teacher  Certification.

I chose a few different states to look at. I’m going to include North Dakota since that’s where I’m currently working…but I’ll put that information last.

One of the first states I chose was New York – simply because I know that’s a hot mess of certification (and I’m not even going to go into the difference between speech-language pathologists and speech therapists and MS vs BS [and it’s a lot of BS if I say so myself] because that’s a completely different post and I try really hard to only rock the boat in one direction per post.)

New York

According to the Office of the Professions to work as a Speech-Language Pathologist (or Audiologist) one must have a state license except in “exempt” settings. The “exempt” settings include:

  • Federal, State or local governments
  • Public or nonpublic elementary or secondary schools
  • Colleges and universities

“NOTE: To provide speech services in a public school in New York State, “Teacher Certification” is the appropriate credential. For information regarding teacher certification, contact the Office of Teaching Initiatives at 518-474-3901.” After trying to navigate this oh-so-helpful website for more than 2  3 hours, I finally gave up. The requirements will remain in the murky recesses of a poorly designed website.

Then I found (thanks Aubrey!) this helpful website. Where I found this:

What credential is required to provide speech and/or language clinical services to children?

Answer: If you hold a certificate as a teacher of the speech and hearing handicapped, you may provide speech and/or language services as an employee of a school or center-based pre-school. To provide speech or language services independently or in a clinic, you must hold a license and current registration as a speech-language pathologist. If you contract with schools or agencies to provide clinical speech and/or language services in the schools or on an itinerant basis (i.e. you are not an employee), you must hold a speech-language pathology license and current registration as well as certification as a teacher of the speech and hearing handicapped. The table “Who may lawfully provide speech services in an elementary, middle, secondary school or a preschool?” summarizes the distinctions.

What I interpret this to say is that in order to work in the school (either as a school employee or a contractor), the SLP must have a teacher certification. This site supports that interpretation.

What I have been unable to find anywhere is the rationale behind the requirement.  Even more interestingly, Occupational Therapists working in the schools do not seem to be held to the same requirements. Hmm.. That’s a bit…disconcerting. (I’ve sent an email requesting the justification for the requirement. I’ll let you know what they say – if they even respond.)


Let me say, the Illinois Speech-Language Hearing Association website was a joy to peruse after the previous websites. It was very straightforward and easy to navigate. Thank you!

In a nutshell, Illinois requires teacher certification to work in the schools. In fact, they have five different type of teacher certifications for SLPs. For three of them (10, 03, 09) the certificate allows them to be the “sole teacher of a self-contained Communications Disorders Classroom.”  Hmm. (I interpret that as a self-contained classroom for students with Autism. Although I may be wrong.) The remaining two teacher certifications are for those who don’t want to be the sole teacher in a self-contained classroom, and essentially a provisional certificate while you’re working on the previous one.

IF the purpose of the teaching certificate for the first three (10, 03, 09) is because they are the sole teacher and will be teaching curriculum (math, reading, social studies, health, etc.) and the students do not have a true teacher – it makes sense for these certificates. The SLP/Teacher in this case IS the teacher and is responsible for making sure the student is educated to the best of his/her ability. Sadly, I’m not sure why they have the requirement for the other. (It’d also be interesting to determine how many of these “self contained Communication Disorders Classrooms exist.) I’ve worked in a self-contained classroom for students with autism, but the lead teacher was a teacher with autism specialization, not the SLP…although we did work closely with her.

If we jump across the river to Missouri…we find that they also require teacher certification to work in schools. But, sadly, no explanation as to why.


According to this (subsection G), it looks as though Texas only requires a License…and in fact, no longer issues teacher certificates for SLPs to work in schools. Wow! Texas saw the error of their ways?


According to this, Washington requires an “educational staff associates” certificate. But they require it of everyone – PT, OT, School Psych, School Nurses, etc. and it’s NOT a teaching certificate.

Rhode Island

Rhode Island is content to let ASHA be the guiding force to provide a Speech-Language Certificate. Again, it’s a speech-language certificate – not a teaching certificate.


Sadly, the same thing cannot be said of Pennsylvania. I retrieved this off of the ASHA website because the Pennsylvania Dept. of Ed. website was a tad …. confusing. But, here is what ASHA stated. In addition to a Master’s degree and completion of the Praxis II (which is the post-grad assessment specific for speech-language pathology):

Individuals applying for an initial certificate (Instructional I) are required to take the PPST Reading, PPST Writing, PPST Mathematics, and Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge (all K-6 and K-12 areas) in addition to the appropriate subject assessment test(s).

*See rant below


Florida was a bit trickier to figure out. It looks as though the SLP working in the schools is required to have a state license or ASHA CCCs and simply send a letter to the Dept. of Education.


From the ASHA website, “The ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) fulfills the testing and program requirements for speech-language pathologist certification. Individuals may apply directly to the Oklahoma State Department of Education and enclosing verification or a copy of ASHA CCC.”

North Dakota

According to the ASHA website “A speech-language pathologist in public schools must possess either a State Board of Examiners license or the Education Standards and Practices Board’s Restricted Educator’s Professional license to practice in the public schools, or they may have both.”

I know first hand (I’ve refused their jobs), many school districts in North Dakota attempt to require SLPs to hold a Restricted Educator’s Professional license even though it is not a state mandate. However, by doing so, it locks the SLP into lower teacher wages and the teacher’s retirement fund. In all honesty, I don’t understand this. By having only the teaching certificate, the SLP can’t bill for medicaid which cuts into funding.

This is all food for thought…but now what?

As you can see some states require almost nothing while others require you to jump through so many hoops it’s daunting (not to mention deflating). As one SLP on twitter put it “Pennsylvania is ridiculous and not worth the effort for SLPs educated out of state.” Ouch Pennsylvania…and that’s from someone who is practicing there!

Now…This is where I am going to rant for just a tiny bit. Please be warned…

If I, an SLP with years of experience, a state license, AND my ASHA CCCs, applied to work in the school settings in Pennsylvania, I would have to take the PPST assessments. That is… insulting. The PPST is a college sophomore level assessment designed to weed out those individuals who don’t have enough background knowledge (aka writing, math, and social studies not to mention common sense) to be successful in the College of Education. It’s the test students have to take BEFORE they are accepted into the College of Education…as college sophomores.

Essentially, what Pennsylvania is saying is that regardless of the fact that I have 1) already completed a bachelor’s degree, 2) taken the GRE, 3) completed a master’s degree, 4) taken (and passed) the SLP Praxis exam, 5) been supervised for a year and received my CCCs from ASHA, and 6) have years of experience – I have to take this test that entry level educators have to take. Uhmm. no. Needless to say, I won’t be moving to Pennsylvania any time soon.

Please know…it’s not the degree of difficulty of the test. It’s the fact that 1) it’s designed for teachers and SLPs ARE NOT TEACHERS, 2) it’s for college sophomores not seasoned professionals, and 3) it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the field.

Now to be fair to Pennsylvania – North Dakota also requires the SLP to take the Praxis I (PPST) in order to get their teacher certificate…However, it does NOT require the teacher certificate in order to work in the schools. In fact, the Dept. of Education has valid arguments for both. Read the arguments here (page 11). I’m betting they will work for other states as well.

So…Please tell me. What does your state REQUIRE for you to work in the schools? Are you sure? If your state requires you to obtain a teaching certificate – how do you feel about it? Are you a teacher? Drop me a note…let me know!

Until then…Adventure on!


44 thoughts on “Adventures in Certification…part two.

  1. I may have answered on the last one, too. Indiana requires both the professional licensing board license (now required for all SLPs in the state, in any setting), AND certification by the department of education. The certification by the DOE is not a teacher’s license, per se, because it is a specialist’s license, and I am not certified to be a classroom teacher, only an SLP in the schools. It kind of annoys me, because it doesn’t have any different requirements than the IPLA license, so it feels like it is just a way to get more money out of me. 😉

  2. NC requires a state license—no certification. Of course our pay is not as good as NY. Might be better than Mississippi though.

      • NC just took away the teacher certification requirement. Pay was unaffected. My ‘tenure’ was grandfathered in—not sure if the tenure track holds for new SLPs in the schools. We also now have a new evaluation rubric (many pages long)–but the people doing the evaluating (i.e. assistant principals) have totally no idea what to look for. This is a very interesting blog post, by the way. Thank you.

  3. Very interesting post, Mary! I find it fascinating how different things can be in various places.

    In Ontario (Canada) we are regulated healthcare professionals, so in order to practice in any and all settings as an SLP, you have to belong to the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario ( This is a regulatory body meant to protect the public from SLPs or anyone from claiming they are SLPs without the appropriate credentials. This is true whether you work in schools, hospitals, private practice, etc.

    There is no expectation for SLPs to have a teaching certificate to work in schools, just as no one expects SLPs to have Dr or nurse credentials to work in a hospital, and that’s what this feels like to me when a state requires you to have both. Except if you are the sole teach of a class – then I’m all for needing a teaching degree/certificate!

    As for those states that only require the teacher certification and not SLP credentials, I think this is all sorts of wrong. What’s to stop some random person or teacher from attempting to practice SLP in the schools? Are the SLPs not regulated in those states?! Surely the regulatory body would have something to say about it if that were so?

    I won’t touch the PA thing except to say that it’s pretty offensive to professionals.

    • I think offensive is pretty accurate.

      Like you say – we don’t expect SLPs working in the hospital to have Drs certificates or credentials. Why would we expect SLPs in schools to?

      And…although I haven’t said it here… If I were a teacher – I’d be offended also. It is wrong to lump non-similar positions together just for the sake of money. An SLP does NOT have the expertise to be a teacher. There is no way I could do what my teachers do. Just as there is no way they can do what I do. We are not the same – and should not be lumped in the same just because we happen to share a building and students.

      • Well, yes, for sure Teachers should also be offended – to suggest that we are qualified to do what they specifically trained to do is just as offensive as having us take it to … prove we deserve to be in the schools? I’m not even sure.

        The keyword in my sentence ‘offensive to professinals’ was *professionals* – teachers are professionals as well as SLPs (and OTs, PTs, etc.).

      • mmmm, maybe not if you knew how much I pay a year for my license to practice! But I still wholeheartedly believe in regulation, even if I fear random audits – they keep us honest and abreast of old and new regulations/laws/practice standards! When you have to be able to show PROOF you are performing everything to standard/code, you think twice about taking shortcuts!

    • It has been less than 10 years since Indiana schools started requiring professional licensure along with the Dep’t of Ed certificate. Many (most?) of the SLPs in my district do not have a professional license because they were grandfathered in. Most of them could have been or were originally licensed but they let it lapse because they didn’t want to pay when they didn’t have to. I do think everyone has a masters degree in SLP, but there might be one or two with a bachelor’s degree who were grandfathered in.

  4. when.I moved and PA certification I “only” had to take a praxis test….and it was NOT the one I took to get my CCCs. It was much easier full.of actual questions about speech therapy. I actually think it was specifically made for pa as there were 2 questions about PA cases) ( fyi..not sure.I.could have.passed the grad school praxis which was full of theory and names that i never think.of in daily slp life.) I didn’t have to take any reading or math or teacher test. that was 6 years ago. I had an active FL license and cert. my school employer also has a separate salary scale.for.slps.

    • How did you feel about that Lisa? Did it feel demeaning that Pennsylvania wouldn’t take your experience with Florida at face value?
      Knowing what you know now, would you recommend that out of state SLPs attempt to come to PA to work in the schools?

  5. I agree 100% with this article !!!!!! you put ALL of my thoughts into words.. I am from Pennsylvania, attended graduate school out of state (GA) received my M.Ed CCC-SLP (which apparently means NOTHING to the education department of PA) moved back to PA and then had to fork out an additional $180 just so PA could verify that I could read/write/and complete basic algebra……disgusting. haha phew! Ok, I’m done 🙂

    • But, MaiLing, according to facebook comments by CL Freeman, Arizona has this: “Arizona- Changed from teaching certification to non-teaching professional certificate a couple of years ago- SLT or SLP, but you have yo also hold a Department of Health license – Limited for bachelor’s level and regular for master. SO we have to pay two fees to work in the schools. Nice huh? One would think the DOH License is enough, but that would not generate any money for the DOE”

      So I’d have to consider leaving the schools… Do you have a good clinic job for me? LOL

  6. Great post Mary! I went to Pitt in PA for grad school and had to jump through those exact hoops you referenced to get my “provisional” certificate. Even then I could not find a job there and decided to move…to the second hardest state to get licensed in, as a new grad anyway, NC. I was lucky though b/c ASHA hadn’t changed the hours breakdown requirements at that time so I was able to get a license, after recreating my hours and writing a description of every course on their application! It took me a solid 10 hours to complete the app and that is no exaggeration. Since then, ASHA did away with requiring a specific number of adult vs. child hours, but NC still requires them. So, if you don’t have 20 hours in Adult Speech Evaluation AND 20 hours in Adult Language Evaluation (on top of all the other required hours), don’t bother applying for a CFY in this state. I have had to turn away at least 15 applicants over the years b/c of these hours. However, if you complete your CFY out of state, reciprocity is fairly uncomplicated. We used to have DPI licensure too, but you didn’t have to have both. Some were licensed by the schools, while others were licensed by the state (contractors). However, if school employees did any work on the side, they also had to have a state license. Our fee is low compared to other states ($60) and we have to get 30 hours of cont. ed. every three years like ASHA reqiures.

    I let my PA certificate lapse. To get it reinstated, I have to do 180 hours of continuing education and I would probably have to take an extra test or two b/c I did not take all those you mentioned. Thanks to Act 48, SLPs in PA have to get 180 hours every 5 years!!! The best part about that? One year when I inquired about reinstating my certificate, ASHA wasn’t an “approved” provider!!!!

    The differences between the states is ridiculous and something needs to be done. If we can get a curriculum to be standard across states, licensing should be a piece of cake!

  7. I’d like to add that NYS also has the same types of testing required for their teaching cert that PA does. They’re called the LAST and ATSW; they’re teacher-specific tests that education majors take partway through their undergrad degree. I won’t comment on my thoughts on the necessity of these for SLPs who already have their MA/MS. 😉

  8. Interesting!

    In California, SLPs who wish to work in schools also have to take the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test) which is designed to “test basic reading, mathematics, and writing skills found to be important for the job of an educator.” I had taken it once; it was really straightforward and simple. However, it does seem unnecessary as my SLP qualifications, credentials, and experience should trump what is being tested on the CBEST. Not that I have done much research into WHY one has to take this test, but someone told me before that it’s because historically, SLPs were at times called upon to be CRTs/teacher subs and therefore the state/school wanted to make sure that SLPs had the basic skills to fill that role when the need arose. Is that relevant these days? Probably not. It seems to me that Pearson wins in all this as the test costs about 101 bucks.

    Regulation boards can be tricky. And seemingly unfair/ludicrous! Don’t even get my started on international credentialings…:)

    • Great insight with regard to how SLPs used to be called in as Subs, etc. That could easily be why some of the rules are in place.

      I have often said ETS is a great scam…It has a test for everything it seems – and all of them are around expensive.

      • Wow, calling ANYONE who isn’t a member of the Ontario College of Teachers to sub is against the law here! I can’t even imagine being called on to sub a class on top of my other duties!!

        • I do sub on occasion, if they can’t fill a position. I can’t do it every day, but most of the time I am willing to make it work, because I get commensurate pay–it’s like getting paid double time!

            • In California, SLPs have a new two tier SLP services credential (level 2 requirements are identical to ASHA certification). Technically, we can’t “sub” for a teacher since we are not “teachers” either by credentialing standards or education/training. We can, however, “sub” for other SLPs who may be out if the district created an “On-call” or “Per Diem” SLP position.

              There is a “Special Class Authorization” credential that could be attached to the clinical credential for SLPs who wanted to run “Aphasia Classrooms”. I too have “watched” a class when a teacher needed to attend a brief meeting, or use the facilities. I have also worked in Special Day classes doing small group therapy but can’t co-teach as my credential does not permit me to instruct in a classroom setting. Definitely not the “Speech Teacher”.

  9. Until fairly recently, Michigan required teacher certification in order to practice as an SLP in public school. As it became harder for districts to find speech paths with state certification, necessity forced a change in the law. Now either state certification or ASHA certification is acceptable. However, ASHA now has such a stranglehold everywhere, that state certification is considered second-rate. Yet, state certified and ASHA certified SLPs have exactly the same training.
    In the days of the dinosaurs, when I got my degree, the professors actively spoke against getting ASHA certification. They saw it as nothing more than a money grab on ASHA’s part, and felt it was totally unnecessary. It still is. The difference now is that ASHA has insinuated itself into every possible aspect of treatment, to the point that nothing else is considered legitimate. Pitiful.

      • More to the point, why is it necessary? With identical training and expectations, why is ASHA certification needed? Why isn’t it just a national organization to which we might belong? Why doesn’t it promote all the things it supports now without forcing itself down everyone’s throat?
        The idea that ASHA provides some level of consistency in practice is ludicrous. ASHA is no more successful than any state organization is or ever has been. I’m very familiar with SLPs who passed their CFYs without really being well-qualified to do therapy. In fact, one of these lovelies did 3 CFY years, and was only passed because the district was so desperate to have a warm body in place that they pressured her supervisor to finally pass her. These can’t be just isolated incidents.
        Just what is it that makes you believe ASHA certification should be necessary?

        • In all honesty, I don’t know that it is. I can tell you in truth, I’d rather have my ASHA certification than an idiotic teachers certification. At least ASHA recognizes what I am and what I can do.

          For what it’s worth, I don’t see ASHA forcing itself down anyone’s throat. It’s optional in many states. I don’t know that we have “identical training and expectations” though. That’s a great thing to strive for – but it’s certainly not something we have currently.

  10. Hi Mary – great topic. Massachusetts requires passing of the MTEL tests – in Communication and Literacy, which teachers here are required to take, along with having their state license. Thanks again for the great posts!

  11. I live in NY and actually don’t have a problem with the requirement to have my certification. The certification is called”Teacher of the Speech and Hearing Handicapped.” Back when I got mine….I had to do student teaching in the school setting to get that. I do not remember if we had to take an additional test. In my district….because I m considered part of the teaching staff….I get equal pay..equal benefits….and am covered under the teachers contract. I do a lot of push in, many in services for teachers, and I am proud to be considered a teacher…it’s the setting I work in. My fear would be isolating myself too much…..our district finally hired out for OT’s and PT’s….they are not considered part of the teaching team….they do it get benefits and are not protected under the contract.when I first started doing push in years ago…I struggled with the issue of moving away from the medical model….but adapted…and schools are not medical settings. I still,do 1:1 therapy for many kids, small group pull out, but I also push in and do a lot of work within the literacy time blocks…and I can see where my pull out sessions can carry over. Most of my articulation kids are still pull out, along with fluency, etc. All of my students get pull out, just some of them get push in too.With the push for common core, the decreases in budgets for schools, anyone not considered a vital part of the school setting is at risk. So yes, I have learned how to use my expertise in the classrooms,and across my school, and I love the feeling of being a part of something bigger. And most importantly, my speech students have actually made faster progress because carryover is quicker. I also have a NYSE license, not required for work in the schools. I also have kept up my ASHA certification….but am very disappointed in ASHA. They do nothing to support me in any way in my job….just look at all of the differences across states in this article..where is ASHA…if they truly had any power these inconsistencies would not be so glaring. And the dues keep go up each year. I earned my C’s, and should be able to keep them no matter what…….but in order to keep the you must pay dues. When I was having kids…three in four years….I took some time off……and could not afford to,keep,paying the dues. When I was ready to start again…..I had to pay back years worth of dues to ASHA….I find this ridiculous. Anyways….I am proud to be part of a teaching staff…..always wanted the school setting…have learned to use my skills in different settings…have learned so much from my fellow teachers….and do not feel in any way that I am lowering myself to be considered one of them. Just my two cents.

    • I love reading this Marianne. Thank you.
      For the record, I don’t consider SLPs to be “higher” and teachers “lower.” My argument is that SLPs are not teachers.
      I do not deserve to be called a teacher – in all honesty, I don’t think I could do what they do. Teachers have my utmost respect.
      As a teacher, I would be offended that someone without teacher training could be called a “teacher” the same way that as an SLP I am angry when people who are not trained SLPs can call themselves “speech therapists” or “speech teachers.”

    • I am right with you. I consider myself a Communications Teacher…not Math (although I work in classrooms on Math vocabulary)…not Reading ( although I work with students on inferences, deductions and question skills). I will be retiring after over 30 years and would like to work part time in a small or private school. I still think I have skills to share. But, I love being considered a Communication Teacher. I have my Masters but it is in Special Education due to the fact so many of my early students displayed multiple strengths and weaknesses. In order to help them in the classroom, I had to learn about classroom expectations as they related to Communication.

      Why does ASHA need back dues for years when a person isn’t practicing?

  12. Great discussion! A few years ago, Maryland stopped requiring school based SLPs to have a teacher certificate. At the time, the counties interpreted that to mean SLPs cannot be represented by their county’s teacher unions. After a large letter writing campaign, the teacher certificate requirement did end, but SLPs can be represented by their teacher unions since we are now considered specialists. Maryland requires a Board of Examiner’s license for all SLP’s does not require ASHA CCC’s for school based SLPs. We now have our own SLP evaluation which differs from the CCSS teacher evaluation. I agree with another comment that the school administrators who evaluate us really don’t know what they are looking for although if you ask them, they’ll say sure they do! Also by Md. law, the counties pay for renewing CCC’s and renewing Md. state license for school based SLPs.

    • Wow! The counties pay for renewing CCCs and license? That is awesome! It is SO expensive.

      It sounds as though Maryland is really looking out for their SLPs – I love hearing that!

      You make an interesting distinction that Maryland doesn’t require ASHA CCCs for School based SLPs. Does it require CCCs for non-school based?

      • Thanks for all this Maryland info- I am relocating to Easton, MD, and currently hold: CA SLP license and SLP credential, SC SLP license and SLP teaching credential, and my CCCs of course! My resume is a LONG list! I was trying to get info on Maryland Board of Ed website about applying for teaching certification there, and googling that info when I came across this website. Thankful I will only need to get my license there (and that license and CCCs are reimbursable- so awesome!).

  13. Fabulous post! I guess I might be lucky because I happen to have my teaching certificate for life K-12 for the hearing impaired; however, that’s because it was my undergraduate major and happened to go the extra semester and do my student teaching. However, I then went to grad school and a now an SLP here in Texas. While I am certified to be a teacher, my true love and calling is to be an SLP. I have the utmost respect for teachers it I do it wish to ever be a classroom teacher.

    Texas just passed a bill requiring all SLPs getting their Texas license to be fingerprinting, regardless if you got fingerprinted in schools at the cost of $42. Apparently governmental agencies don’t “share” info with one another. I have heard this is going to be necessary each time you renew your Texas license which is required to work Here. We renew our license every two years and I had to pay $110 (I think) plus my $42 for fingerprinting. This is not including paying for my ASHA dues. I also belong to TSHA so that is an additional fee. I also contribute to PAC because I have seen firsthand how the monies are spent and how It impacts our legislators. It is very expensive to be an SLP. One year I forgot to send in my required documentation of having completed my CEU’s for ASHA and had to pay a huge fine to ASHA. I will never make that mistake again. Yes, I do make my voice and concerns heard and I have met with my state reps and continually lobby for SLPs. Thanks for all the wonderful info.

    • It makes perfect sense to me for a teacher of the deaf/hh to have a teaching certificate…that’s what you were… a teacherLike you, I have the utmost respect for teachers. When I tell people I’m not a teacher – it’s not that I’m holding myself above them… I’m not. I don’t deserve to be called a teacher. I am with the same kids maybe an hour or two a week..they have them several hours a day. Teachers one and all should be sainted in my opinion.

      The rule is you have to be fingerprinted every 2 years? Do they think it’s going to change? LOL.

      I LOVE hearing that you make your voice heard. That’s how changes are made! Thank you for all your comments Deb

  14. ASHA certainly is forcing itself into everything. In Michigan, state-certified SLPs are no longer allowed to practice independently. Why? There is no good reason for that.
    As for Mary Huston’s arrogant comment that teaching certificates are “idiotic”, this is a reflection of ASHA’s ridiculous assumption of superiority. For what? In addition, Ms. Huston, all graduate classes in Speech Language Pathology are taken by all students in the program. The expectations ARE the same. And state-certified SLPs have to undertake 2 separate student teaching experiences, one in speech. A decision to apply for ASHAcertification comes AFTER all the coursework. Give me a break!

    • to Tol95edo—I’m wondering why your language is so strong here, to the point of being slightly rude. If you have such strong opinions about this, then maybe you should author a blog!

    • Apparently this conversation has struck a nerve with you, and for that I apologize.
      I continue to stand by my comment of teaching certificates being idiotic for SLPs.
      Teaching certificates are geared for the honorable profession of TEACHERS. SLPs are NOT teachers.
      The only time, in my opinion, that SLPs should have teaching certificates are if they are 1) teachers of the deaf and heard of hearing, or 2) teachers in a self-contained classroom. However, I can see that we disagree on that subject. So be it.

      It sounds as though you are blaming ASHA for Michigan’s law for licensure. Is Licensure a bad thing? How is it ASHA’s fault that Michigan state has decided they will hold their SLPs to a certain standard regardless of where they work? Personally, I’m all for licensure.

      Your statement of “all graduate classes in Speech Language Pathology are taken by all students in the program” shows an incredible lack of reality. Yes, programs are similar – but they are NOT all the same. If you spoke with recent grads across the nation you would recognize that fact. The fact that you yourself know of SLPs who should not have completed their CFY year successfully because they were underprepared – or unable to do so effectively – tells volumes about the effectiveness of the coursework. Not all universities are the same – not all professors are the same – and not all experiences are the same. For that matter – not all universities offering degrees in Speech-language pathology are ASHA accredited.

      I think we will have to agree to disagree. I do not see ASHA as the villain. They are a body designed to support SLPs and Audiologist. They are a bureaucratic entity – nothing more. Belonging to ASHA is optional.

  15. This subject is exactly what I was looking for. I am an ASHA certified SLP. When I did my CFY, I also applied for teacher certification in NY. I jumped through all of the hoops and received my initial certification.

    However, after my CFY, I moved overseas and have been hoping around ever since. International schools are not so strict with SLPs. However, I’m considering a job in yet another country which requires current teacher certification from everyone.

    When I checked my cert, I found out that the initial certification from NY had expired (of course) years ago. Like most state board of education websites, it’s not at all geared to answering questions about us and I couldn’t quite figure out which route to take. I ended up calling Albany and explaining my situation. The woman with whom I spoke didn’t seem to really have any answers as well other than to submit an extension form and then also the form for permanent (professional) certification. When I found those forms (online again) it turns out that I have to have an extension before I can get the permanent cert, but I also have to have a reason why I need an extension. “Oops. I lost track of the time because I didn’t really need it” Is not an option. None of the options fit my situation. So, I seem to be in a catch 22 scenario. Basically, for my situation, it doesn’t matter which state I have teacher certification from for SLP work, I just need some kind of teacher certification for an SLP from any state to meet the requirements for international schools. Can anyone tell me which state(s) are the easiest to get a teacher certification? I read about states that sound pretty straightforward, but when I actually go to their websites, I get vague directions; “fill out an application and pay the fee”, but which application?! There are 4-5 different ones and I can’t find anything for SLPs. Everything is geared toward teachers in undergrad or teachers who already have a certification from another state. It’s kind of maddening. Can anyone give me a straight answer? Is there a straight answer? Thank for the help and listening to the rant.

Comments are closed.